If you’re familiar with any kind of twelve-step program such as that of Alcoholics Anonymous and you’re a writer, you should find these steps, compiled by Patricia Proctor, inspiring:
The Twelve Steps of Writers Anonymous
1. We admitted we were powerless over writing; that our writing efforts had become unmanageable.
2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore our writing from insanity.
3. Made a decision to turn our will and our writing over to the care of God and our editor as being the only ones who could restore the mess we had made of it.
4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of our writing.
5. Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another writer the exact nature of all the mistakes we had made in our writing.
6. Were entirely ready to have God and a helpful editor remove all these defects of grammar, punctuation, spelling, and other writing […]